Ads

Monday, October 21, 2013

At least two dead after shooting at Nevada school

At least two dead after shooting at Nevada schoolSparks Middle School (Image from google maps)

At least two people are dead after a middle school student opened fire early Monday near Reno, Nevada.
Sparks Middle School was put on lockdown Monday morning after shots were heard shortly after 7 a.m. local time, KVVU-TV reported. Several people were reportedly injured.
Around two hours after the incident first unfolded, police officials confirmed to the Reno Gazette Journal that two people were declared dead, including the gunman. Authorities have since confirmed that the gunman—a student at Sparks—is among the deceased. The second person killed during the shooting has been identified only as a teacher at the school.
Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey told the Journal earlier that day that the alleged shooter died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
According to Journal reporter Siobhan McAndrew, 13-year-old Kyle Nucum said the shooter was another student dressed in the Sparks middle school uniform.
You ruined my life, now I’m going to ruin yours,” Nucum told McAndrew he heard the shooter say before opening fire on a teacher.
Renown Regional Hospital spokeswoman Angela Rambo said that two male patients, both minors, were in critical condition at her facility, the Journal reported.
The school is located just east of Reno, Nevada and has around 630 students enrolled in grades seven and eight.
Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval has released a statement saying he was “deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting” and that his family extends their “thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events.”
Reno Police Deputy Chief Tom Robinson said during the Monday morning press conference that parents can “rest assured.”
The schools are safe. The rest of the city is safe,” Robinson said.